Featured Post

Secret Ingredients Response

Monday, October 17, 2016

CYOA: Where's it at?

For a certain culture, there are basics that everyone should know. There are the staple foods and the methods used to cook them, then there are when and where to eat certain dishes. However, these basics can only go so far and differences between individuals become prominent. This is the case for the Mexican culture, and specifically for me, the differences become prominent between California and Texas.
For my CYOA, I am going to explore Mexican food and the way it ranges from area to area, specifically between California and Texas. This is important to me because of my Mexican heritage and Hispanic lifestyle. Growing up in Texas, I experienced a range of food from being pure Mexican to pure Texan. It wasn’t until I came to school here in Michigan that I realized although I can know another individual with a Mexican heritage, the type of food or the way we cook things can be different. I assumed it was all the same throughout, and everyone knew what the difference between a taco and a taquito were. I want to expand on these differences and similarities, and show how this can be the case for other cultures as well. 

I have two videos to show you all. The first is a video that compares American style food/snacks and Mexican style food/snacks. The second video is a comparison between California and Texan Mexicans at a gathering that highlights key differences between the two. These videos are simply just for humor, and in my presentation, I will go deeper into the different varieties of Mexican food and how this can be related to other cultures as well.

Video One: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlI_jsalGEs
Video Two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrH_cPby2Ug 

2 comments:

  1. LOVELOVELOVE! Especially California Mexicans vs. Texas Mexicans. . . . Can't wait for your presentation. Though I'm not Mexican, part of my family is, and Tex-Mex is soul food to me--so this hits close to home even for this gringa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, I really enjoyed your presentation. It was great to learn about the influences on Mexican food in different U.S. states, especially since you have grown up with Tex-Mex cuisine! So many of us do not realize the regional differences that are present in this cuisine, and these differences are what make the food unique.

    ReplyDelete